SOCIAL MEDIA

Saturday, February 20, 2021

Who Should You Vote For?

I don't particularly like it when Pastor's tell their congregation who they should vote for. Not all Pastors do this of course but, some do and often it is with the best of intentions. They are concerned about what could happen in our country if the candidate that they are not in favor of, wins the election. I understand their concerns. Nonetheless, I think it can be extremely divisive to push politics within the church.  I admire that these Pastors want to take an active role in politics but I believe the church is a place to learn about God and grow in one's faith. Politics are divisive by nature.  Politics literally turn friends into enemies. The church is supposed to be a place that unites congregants with the gospel of Jesus Christ, not a place that pits people against each other. 

On the other hand, I think that expecting all Pastors to never share their political thoughts is not necessarily the answer either. People have the right to use their voices for good and I very much believe in the freedom of speech.  If celebrities can loudly use their megaphones to push for a candidate than shouldn't Pastors be able to do the same? Or should neither be able to use their power this way? Should we censor them all? I jest. For the record, it grieves me that the predominantly liberal entertainment industry has such a powerful megaphone and influence over our young people and our country. People obsessively idolize celebrities and will do just about anything that one says. Likewise, many church goers, idolize their Pastors (which is not how it should be) and will do just about anything that their Pastor tells them to do. 

Our voices are very powerful and when given a platform, they become even more powerful. So whether I like it or not, do I fundamentally believe that celebrities and Pastors alike should have the liberty to speak on politics if they chose to. Yes. Is it the right thing to do? What do you think? In my opinion no. There are many things that we have the liberty to do but that doesn't necessarily make them right. For example, a parent has the liberty to get belligerently drunk every night in their own home if they chose to.  The result of abusing their liberty is that they will likely be a very lousy, neglectful parent. 

To be clear, I don't care if you vote Republican, Democrat or Independent. I celebrate your right to chose and I will not attack you for voting differently than I do.  In fact, I enjoy civil discussions. I want to know who you are voting for and why. I am open to the possibility that I don't know everything and I want to learn and grow. You have the right to do your own research and vote based on your political and personal leanings. While I tend to be more conservative in many (but not all) of my political leanings, I am not freaking out that Biden is President nor that Trump was not reelected.  My security was never in Trump or Biden, Bush or Clinton, Bush or Obama. My peace regardless of who is in office, stems from the fact that my hope and trust is not in the sitting President of our nation, but in God I trust. I held tightly to my faith while Trump was President and times were very turbulent and I will continue to hold tightly to my faith while Biden is in office and times continue to be turbulent. 

"Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam, and the mountains quake with their surging. There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the Holy place where the Most High dwells. God is within her (the city/the people), she will not fall; God will help her at break of day. Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall; He lifts his voice, the earth melts. The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress." (Psalm 46:3-7) Psalm 46 is go good and when Shane and Shane sing it, wow, powerful. 

I recognize that if you do not share my faith, we see things from a different perspective. That is aok. This blog is a space for me to share my perspective and you are welcome to comment and share yours. 

Who should you vote for? Whoever you chose to! You will not get any hate from me. Enjoy that freedom.  

Just remember, the media is quite literally brainwashing us all. So please, do your own critical thinking. 





No comments :

Post a Comment